Saturday, July 21, 2012

My Worst Nightmare Coming True


April 23 was just another normal Monday. It was back to work after a weekend of beginning our wedding registry, purchasing Robo's "dream" lawn mower, attending a friends party (in which Robo was slightly overserved), and spending Sunday using the new mower and grocery shopping.

                                                 Robo's Dream Come True!

 It started off just a normal day. When I got out of bed, we had our usual coversation.
Robo: Good Morning Beautiful!
Me: Shut up!
and Robo would just giggle.

When he was ready, he would come give me a kiss bye, tell me to have a good day, and leave for work. Usually every morning he calls after he gets to work so I wasn't surprised to hear from him. He called to tell me plans had changed. He would be running a different route that day because one of the guys called in sick and he would make more money off of this route.  I asked what time he would be home, and he said he wasn't sure.  I knew he would call me when he got off work.

It was a busy day for me at work. I was supposed to be out of my classroom Tuesday and Wednesday for meetings, so I spent all of my free time working on sub plans for those days. It was unusual for me to not be in contact with Robo at all, but I was so busy I didn't get the chance to text him during the day.

After work, I got in the car to head home and tried to call him.  He didn't answer, but this was normal to me. Usually he wouldn't answer if he was driving or loading the truck, so I figured he would call me back.  Instead, I called my Mom and talked to her most of the way home until my phone cut out on her.

As I turn onto my street, I see a car parked in front of the house. I didn't think much because there was a house across the street being renovated and there seemed to be strange cars there quite often. As I got closer and realized there was someone sitting in the car, I became a little more concerned.  I pulled into the garage and sat in my car for a minute.  In the rear view mirror, I saw a man walking down the driveway towards me.  My first thoughts were "Oh no, what did I do?!?!"

I get out of the car and he continues to approach. He begins by asking me who I am. He then shows me his badge and tells me he is the Macon County Coroner. He continues by saying the words I will NEVER forget "Your fiance was found dead in his work truck today." I begin by telling him he doesn't have the right person.  This couldn't be true!  We were planning to get married!  Life just doesn't happen like this ....

He tries to console me and says we need to go inside to sit down.  Before even getting into the house, I call my mom.  Of course, she says she will be at my house right away.  After going into the house, I ask if his family has been notified.  They had no record of his family, so I let them know.  He asked if I wanted him to get in contact with their county coroner to go tell his Mom, and I immediately said NO! As much I didn't want to, I knew I had to tell her. 

I made that dreaded phone call.  I couldn't tell you what I said, but I called her and somehow told her that her son was found dead.

The next few hours are a total blur.  I called MANY people, and many showed up at the house. I just couldn't believe this really happened. 

I kept thinking, in a few minutes he was going to pull into the driveway and make this whole nightmare go away ......

No comments:

Post a Comment